It’s a WAHM Thing!

I’ve been invited to contribute to itsaWAHMthing.com as a guest author each month. WAHM stands for “work at home mom”, and while I don’t usually do anything gender specific, I *do* happen to be a very successful work at home mom… ๐Ÿ˜‰ My first article can be found here: Six Tips for Making Great Videos […]

I *do* happen to be a very successful work at home mom…
๐Ÿ˜‰

My first article can be found here:
Six Tips for Making Great Videos

You’ll also find my WAHM Success Story there. A fun interview!

I would love your input! What would you most like to hear from me in future articles at It’s A WAHM Thing? I’m looking for fun topic ideas about working from home, or being a successful work at home mom (or parent!).

I look forward to your ideas. ๐Ÿ˜€

About Lynn Terry

I'm best known online for my Internet Marketing Blog and my Low Carb Diet blog (where I also talk about my fun travel adventures). But there is SO much more to me than work, food & travel. Which is why we're here. ;-) So let your hair down and let's have some REAL fun! *cheers*

37 Responses to “It’s a WAHM Thing!”

1. Traci Knoppe March 27, 2012 at 10:54 am #

Ok – trying to choose my wording carefully here, so as not to be offensive…..

I am a WAHM; but, in my experience with WAHM specific sites in the past – I found them to lack overall professionalism. The conversations typically ended up being gab and gossip fests, with everyone talking more about the kids, griping about the husbands, etc… than talking about business.

If I wanted to chat with other moms in that capacity, I’d just join a mom site. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I now prefer to spend my time in professional groups that are for both men and women and where the topic of conversation is business related. Not that there’s never personal conversations; but the whole “vibe” is different.

I will be interested in hearing how your experience goes with this new WAHM site. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Dee@ SmallHouseLife April 2, 2012 at 7:43 am #

Traci.. I am right here with you..

I never stayed on the WAHM blogs because I rarely found value for my business.

So Lynn, I think if you simply be yourself and cont. to add ‘how-tos’ about building a business, that will resonate for WAHM’s.

dee ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Loretta March 27, 2012 at 11:13 am #

I hesitated for a moment before I decided to contribute to ItsaWAHMThing.com as well, but only for a short moment. The truth is if Rae asks me to help her with something I’m pretty likely to do it.

But the reason I hesitated was sort of regarding what Traci said above… I had basically removed myself from so many sites and communities that were “wahm” oriented because they were just not interested in real business activity and it was making me crazy. That’s why I prefer to hang out at Clicknewz ๐Ÿ˜‰ I think the group there has a nice balance of business and personal conversation.

I used to also offer “wahm services” and I stopped doing that simply because the perceived value was, frankly, crap. It seemed that when it came to business that the term “wahm” being associated with it was expected to be either low quality or free.

I think the overall goal of ItsaWAHMthing.com is to put the term work at home mom in a good light again and to show newcomers that it’s not all fluff and junk and they really can earn a living for themselves.

oops I got off on a tangent there… maybe I should go write a blog post!

3. Lynn Terry March 27, 2012 at 11:25 am #

So you both see why I hesitated to jump on board – the whole “wahm” culture has a sort of a negative connotation. It wasn’t that way back in the late 90’s. I recall a very active email list group of very serious business-minded women. In fact, they were a huge help in me getting my businesses off the ground!

Of course, I have other reasons for staying clear of gender specific sites and projects – which I’ll discuss in more detail soon, like I said…

I agree with you Loretta. Missy Ward and Rae Hoffman are two kick-ass super successful women – who happen to be “work at home moms”. If anyone can give the wahm market a solid platform… it’s those two. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m excited about contributing to the site, and really enjoying some of the other articles there so far.

4. Gary March 27, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

Hey Lynn,

I think I just got WHAMD! LOL

WHAMD ( work at home moms and dads)

I really don’t feel comfortable going to a site that bills itself as gender specific unless I am invited and made to feel welcomed. (many do just that)

To me, it’s like hanging out a ” WARNING-DO NOT ENTER” – PRIVATE PROPERTY” sign. I get a feeling in the pit of my stomach that I would sooner NOT have. (been there – done that)

On my stroke survivor site 70 percent of my tribe are female, I have many GREAT female friends and as I said in another comment I live in a building that has almost ALL female tenants.

If we males are not welcome at the WAHM site then I will show my respect and simply not go there. (my male skin I am comfortable in and broad shoulders I have)

I hope you are having an AWESOME WAHM day!

smiles, ๐Ÿ™‚

p.s. I am always disappointed whenever this issue rears it’s ugly head. I really feel that there is so much to be shared from both genders (given civility) that it is absolutely a shame to be overly restrictive in our thinking.

p.p.s. Barb, in a previous comment did say if she could, wave her magic wand and give me the required assets she would, but alas her super powers were limited. LOL

p.p.p.s. Sorry Lynn, about what I would like you to talk about in future posts I am sitting here thinking that unless you plan to re-post your contributions somewhere gender neutral than I don’t see the point. ๐Ÿ™

p.p.p.p.s. besides April, founder of the new http://www.tinkermedia.com just PM’d me and asked if we could meet offline. Looking forward to meeting her in person for the first time and maybe talking about what we are each doing online. I am sure there will be lots to share. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Gary March 27, 2012 at 1:31 pm #

Ooops: should be a .ca in that link not a .com This should work. http://www.tinkermedia.ca

• Lynn Terry March 27, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

We share some similar views, Gary. As I said, I’ll go into more detail in another video (soon) on my thoughts – because it’s a controversial topic and I’m very firm on my stance.

All that aside, anywhere I am welcome – you are welcome. Period. You’ll also find that they have a male author, a work at home dad – his name is Michael Gray and he’s someone I have met in person and trust/respect.

And thanks for sharing April’s site. I can’t wait to dig in and check it out. Enjoy your meet-up and give her a warm hello from me as well – I’ll be keeping up with her virtually. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Gary March 27, 2012 at 7:42 pm #

Hey Lynn,

I really appreciate your reply. Sounds better already especially when you say there is a male author and we share a common last name. Cool! ๐Ÿ˜€

I will go check out your post and let you know my thoughts.

Thanks!

I hope you are having an AWESOME day!

smiles, ๐Ÿ™‚

p.s I will pass along your greeting to April when we meet. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Gary March 27, 2012 at 8:01 pm #

OK, I made it in and out alive. whew! LOL Great job on your post Lynn, definitely a keeper. Thanks for sharing… ๐Ÿ™‚

smikes, ๐Ÿ™‚

• Lynn Terry March 27, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ I would never participate in anything publicly that wasn’t cool for *everyone* ๐Ÿ˜‰ Appreciate your feedback!

5. Marge Burkell March 27, 2012 at 4:06 pm #

I am much older than you but I found that one of the most pressing problems of trying to work at home while my kids were young was getting others to respect that I was working and my time.

Other moms would call all the time wanting to chat, wanting me to drive the kids here or there, all because they sat in an office and thought of me as being a stay at home mom. It didn’t seem to matter that I was working in my studio or on my computer when they called to ask this or that of me.

I learned to deal with that but I think that might make for a good article on the site you are guest author for. I am sure I am not unique no matter the time frame and others could benefit from the advice.

On the WAHM thing, I always avoided it simply because when I worked in corporate America, only 1% of us management employees were women at the large international firm I was employed at. I frankly liked working with men because I always knew exactly where I stood with them at any time. Women can be catty and I just tended to stay away from those situations when I could. I stayed away the WAHM sites for the same reason.

Maybe you might think of starting a WAHP site, Work at Home Parent, because sex really doesn’t enter into it.

• Lynn Terry March 27, 2012 at 8:13 pm #

Good topic, Marge. You’re definitely not alone on that one. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thanks for the idea!

I can relate to your work experience. I have found the same, particularly offline. Women can be very complex sometimes.

I have no intentions of starting any type of site myself though. There are some out there already for WAHP’s and even WAHD’s. Contributing to Rae & Missy’s site is all I intend to do, which was a stretch for me given the topic… but I have the greatest respect for them both, and for what they are doing with this site.

6. Karen D. March 27, 2012 at 11:25 pm #

Hi Lynn,

If not for your posting over on the WAHM site, I might never have found it. I did enjoy your post there, as well as reading about your background.

While I was there, I took a look at Michael Grayโ€™s post about slow cookers, and skimmed headlines on others.

As for ideas for your subsequent posts there, I would suggest similar ones to what you have on here, and on clicknewz.com that might apply to the format.

You could discuss about having pets in the family, and how they impact the family/WAHM dynamic, for a more specific idea.

Using the pull-down menus, I also took a look at all of the other parts of the site, and even though I am not a parent, there is a lot of information that can be applied to any work at home situation, and probably to many home situations in general, too.

Having zero experience with gender specific sites, I have no opinion from that angle.

In general, however, if Iโ€™m interested in a site, Iโ€™ll go there. If I find it turns out to not be for me, Iโ€™ll leave.

Unless there is a blatant problem with cyberstalking, etc. (at which time Iโ€™d alert someone, and then leave), if one finds a site unappealing, move on to another one.

Thatโ€™s the beauty about the Internet today. There is something for everyone.

Wishing you, and all that the site entails, the best of luck. ๐Ÿ™‚

K.

• Lynn Terry March 28, 2012 at 7:22 am #

Great point, Karen – and thank you!

I’m looking at Mylah sleeping peacefully here by my desk while I work a bit this morning – the danes have added so much to my life, particularly given I work from home and how much time I spend here. ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Rae March 28, 2012 at 9:16 am #

Hey Lynn – first, thanks for becoming part of the ItsAWAHMThing.com team – we know you’ll be an awesome value to the readers there.

Second, I wanted to address the WAHM site stigma and explain why Missy and I created the site.

Over a decade ago, I became part of the WAHM community. It was always a very frustrating experience. While I met some cool moms through that experience (Lynn being one, Retta who commented on this post being another) it soon became very apparent that the level of “seriousness” about working from home – at the ones I frequented anyway – was very low.

My last straw and eventual “break up” with the WAHM community was a post by a woman who had changed direct sales opportunities four times in one year (all of which had start-up fees), was posting from her home Internet connection and was begging for money to buy diapers from other board members because she “was broke”.

Posts like the above were numerous in nature, flame wars were abundant and moms seemed to talk more about their non-successes than their successes. If an aspiring WAHM showed up on the site, she was quickly flooded with many โ€œopportunitiesโ€ and little real business (or telecommuting) advice. The sites themselves seemed to take ads for anything and everything, regardless of if the opportunity was a rip off or not.

I learned a long time ago in business that you have to surround yourself with the level you want to be at in order to climb there. So I left the WAHM community and immersed myself in the more mainstream business communities and Iโ€™d never looked back.

Fast forward to a decade later. Missy and I were away on a girlโ€™s weekend and somehow the topic of the stigma of work at home mom came up while we were sitting on our hotel room balcony in South Beach. We thought, hell, letโ€™s try and give back to the community and create a site where real, serious, women entrepreneurs and workers who happen to work from home can find real advice without the drama and scams.

Letโ€™s create a site that shows that there is a contingent of work at home moms are not only be successful, but incredibly successful. And a place where aspiring WAHMs could find actual information to help them run a business and not flame wars.

As for the gender specific โ€“ as mentioned, we have a dad that blogs. Additionally, many of our readers, commenters and retweeters are male. Weโ€™re giving out business advice that can be used for any business. Some posts have a mom specific tinge to them, but many do not. We welcome readers that are moms, dads, single โ€“ whatever. But we chose to make the site WAHM specific as a message โ€“ and because Missy and I are big believers in supporting other women. We wanted the site to be a beacon in the sea of WAHM BS so to speak. The site is a hat tip to successful mothers working from home everywhere where we felt one didnโ€™t exist (whereas those sites do exist for standard HBB owners).

Weโ€™re different. Thatโ€™s why you see no AdSense on the site. Because we know that the ads would be filled with scams targeting the work at home mom community and we donโ€™t want to be โ€œthat siteโ€. Youโ€™ll never see us take money for private advertising to run an ad touting you can make money from home taking surveys. We want to help lift up aspiring WAHMs. We want to change the way the net thinks of the word WAHM.

Cheers ๐Ÿ™‚

• Lynn Terry March 28, 2012 at 9:28 am #

I *love* your mission with this project. Kudos to you & Missy for taking it on. And thank you again for inviting me to join in! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Gary March 29, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

Hey Rae,

Quote – “As for the gender specific โ€“ as mentioned, we have a dad that blogs. Additionally, many of our readers, commenters and retweeters are male.”

Thanks for your clarification on the term “gender specific”. It fills the role of making me (as a male) feel welcome to visit and interact on your site. I am a dad but alas, now I’m a grandad as well. (an old dog who loves learning new things) ๐Ÿ˜‰

8. Angie March 28, 2012 at 9:30 am #

I think the site definitely has good potential with the ladies behind it.

I would love to see you write on the topic of no excuses as a lot of moms in the wahm community use excuses as to why they can’t make it and that would be a good topic. Another is exactly what Rae mentioned above…a blog post on not jumping from opportunity to opportunity. Just imagine where, the ladies that are still out there changing their direct sales business every month could be now if they STUCK to something all those years ago. It’s really sad.

Oh and another topic I think would be great is one where you talk about the different options out there. A lot of moms think direct sales/network marketing is the only way to go. I wish they could see that some of the people still promoting those businesses to them have gone through 5-10 and are just in a vicious cycle. Show them that they can build their own site/blog, write, craft on Etsy, etc.

Oh boy I have a lot to say on the topic ha ha

• Lynn Terry March 28, 2012 at 9:48 am #

Yay! I’m GLAD you had lots of ideas – thank you for the great topics to consider. ๐Ÿ˜€

9. Lynn Terry March 28, 2012 at 9:33 am #

A bit of history might be in order. I was a successful business owner OFFline before I started working from home. I had a commercial storefront and a commercial office downtown.

It was when my son became ill, the year I divorced, that I shut down my office and started working from home full time. I had to be a full-time parent, and as a newly single parent – I had to work as well.

Being a full-time parent to my children has been the biggest blessing ever. Raising my children has always been my top priority. They have played a HUGE part in my motivation to start a business, be successful, and use that to create a lifestyle for us as a family.

I am grateful I was born into a generation where all of this was possible. The timing, the technology, and even my circumstances… allowed me to “have it all”…

10. Missy Ward March 28, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

Hey Lynn,

I was so delighted when Rae let me know that you were going to be contributing to itsaWAHMthing.com. Our readership will benefit greatly from your extensive knowledge on all things entrepreneurial and how you have managed to merge it with motherhood.

Iโ€™m not going to rehash what Rae had to say above but simply provide my back story as to why I wanted to create a site that would provide advice for serious mompreneurs and work at home moms.

I too, was a single mom of a 1-year old back in 2001 when I began my life as a WAHM. Later that year, I finally decided to give up my full-time job to fully commit to my own business, which was showing a lot of prospect and just needed more love [aka countless hours of bootstrapped marketing, design, sales, etc.]

I became part of a local WAHM community with thoughts of networking and brainstorming with other likeminded women, only to find that our meetups consisted of comments on the latest networking marketing company someone had joined and moms sharing their discounts on whatever opportunity they had paid a fee so that they could market the product. Rarely was there any talk about marketing, balancing work/home life and other WAHM issues that I ran into on a daily basis. After a few times, I gave up and looked for some WAHM communities online, none of which fit my needs long-term.

Fast forward 10+ years later, and I still couldnโ€™t find one ๐Ÿ™‚

That prompted the conversation with Rae while we were on vacation together. We both agreed that โ€œNo Woman is an Islandโ€ and that new WAHMs need successful role models they can look up to and opportunities for networking and education, if they are going to be successful themselves.

The ability to help other WAHMs through itsaWAHMthing.com so that they may create better lives for themselves, their families and their community is something that Rae and I both strongly believe in.

Once again, Iโ€™m so thrilled that youโ€™ve decided to become a contributor and I look forward to reading more of your posts!

• Lynn Terry March 28, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

I look forward to getting to know you more, and meeting the rest of the team at itsaWAHMthing as well. I’ve really enjoyed some of the great posts there so far, and look forward to contributing!

• Gary March 29, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

Hey Missy,

Quote – “But, as stated in previous posts, our site benefits any entrepreneur or work at home parent. There are nuggets in there for everyone.”

Thank you for reinforcing Rae’s clarification on the “gender specific” thingy. As I said in my reply to Rae. “It fills the role of making me (as a male) feel welcome to visit and interact on your site. I am a dad but alas, now Iโ€™m a grandad as well. (an old dog who loves learning new things) ๐Ÿ˜‰

11. Michelle March 29, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

I would love to hear about how you separate (both physically and mentally) the “work space” and the “home space”. I find switching from one mode to the other can be very challenging and not always very effective. Without the commute from one to the other, what tricks have you developed?

• Lynn Terry March 30, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

Great topic, Michelle! ๐Ÿ˜€

12. Lynn Terry March 30, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

As promised, here’s the follow-up video on why I steer clear of gender-specific sites/groups/etc: http://www.lynnterry.tv/357/sexism/ ๐Ÿ˜€

13. Joanna March 30, 2012 at 1:20 pm #

I think gender specific sites/groups have popped up address the specific needs of women and specifically working moms. Moms, whether married or single still carry the majority of household responsibilities – this has been proven statistically on many studies and so our needs and interests are very different from men.

Also gender specific or WAHM groups are just part of a niche. We can’t all be targeting the same market after all.

As for WAHM groups, I suppose I’ve been lucky! I’m part of a network of WAHM’s that works to support each other’s businesses and yes – we also talk about kids, food and husbands but we’re quite content with that because we need help not just with our businesses but with our journey through motherhood.

I know someone mentioned if you want to gab about motherhood then join a mommy group, but because I am a WAHM and always busy I just don’t have time to join a separate group just for that purpose. If I can get everything in one shot – the better!

• Lynn Terry March 30, 2012 at 7:44 pm #

I agree that work at home parents have different interests and challenges than “just parents” or people who “just work from home” (that are not parents). It’s a juggle to raise children and manage a home while starting a business – all under the same roof.

I’m glad to hear you’ve found a great group!

14. Rhonda Page March 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

Hi Lynn, Love Missy and Sugar Rae – Amazing how if you spend enough time hanging out with great folks in cyberspace, we start getting that “six degree of separation” thing going on. I do have an idea. My kids are grown. I now take care of my mom, and am also trying to start a new “second life” business in affiliate marketing. I had been in the work world a long time before computers, and then it was DOS. I have always been in Human Services, so I didn’t use computers much. I think that there are lots of us out there who relate to your energy, and your constantly working towards your goals. I am pulled in lots of directions, and what seems so simple to folks can take me a day or two or more to figure out. Thanks for all you share!

• Lynn Terry March 30, 2012 at 7:45 pm #

Good topic Rhonda. Just to clarify – you would be interested in posts on focus, productivity, and dealing with technology hurdles?? Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Sue Painter March 31, 2012 at 11:25 am #

Lynn, I take your point about gender-specific, and I also take Rae’s experience and points. I’ve always thought that there could be a successful BUSINESS ORIENTED site for work-at-home women whether they are parents or not. I don’t have kids, but I do like to share resources and tips with other women who are (serious) work-at-home business owners. When I would go looking for this in past years, however, I would run into the wahm and get the same experiences as Rae. So I wish Rae and everyone involved great success with the site, even though I’m not a mom. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Lynn Terry April 1, 2012 at 7:40 am #

My only real issue with it is the double standard. Specifically women who a women-only site, group, event etc… but the outrage that occurs if it’s even *assumed* that men do something similar…

16. Patty Gale April 1, 2012 at 10:04 am #

This is really a great topic and lots of great points here.

I started online about the same time as many here… early 2001… my daughter was just a couple of months old, my sons were in high school.

Back then, I thought the WAHM community was going to be a great place to network and meet other like-minded women.

I found some.. like Angie, Lynn, Alice Seba and a few others, but within just a couple of years, found it to be more drama, and many with a hobby mindset, than anything else.

I felt like I was being taken back to high school and kept thinking, “Seriously? Where are the women like me?” I didn’t do drama in high school and wasn’t about to participate as an adult.

On the other end of the spectrum, I found other women-based communities with the corporate types …. those running their own business looking for power and status. Many of them tend to be catty, too, but in a different way.

I didn’t fit in there, either, because I wasn’t (and still not) after power or status. I had left my full-time corporate job because I wanted to be home with my kids, make a great living and somehow make a difference.

Where was the in-between? I couldn’t find it, so I never really became a strong presence in any specific community.

My husband became a work at home dad in just the last couple of years. From the online networking he’s been doing with men, there are work at home dad blogs and communities that have been a great resource for him.

I think it’s really only been in the last few years that we’ve seen those communities pop up, though, and the guys don’t get into the drama.

11 years later…..

I do work primarily with women business owners, and it took me a very long time to go that route because of this very topic. I’m very picky about those I choose to work with as well as the offline women-only networking groups I join. I only belong to two because many of them tend to be full of catty, gossipy, women.

I don’t have time for it. Life is simply too short to deal with that sort of mentality, period.

While I follow Rae & Missy on social media, I do not know them personally. I know of their success.

So, when I saw It’s a WAHM Thing, I’ll be perfectly honest, at first I hesitated to take a long look before I knew who was behind it.

When I saw it was Rae and Missy, I thought, “Finally, maybe we can have a community for successful work at home moms without the drama and other stuff that many of us have experienced in our early days online.”

• Lynn Terry April 2, 2012 at 10:32 am #

Thanks for sharing your experience & perspective, Patty! I think it’s important to find communities, both online and offline, where you can share ideas and get feedback – and find a supportive peer group as you grow your business.

I love the dynamic in my own private mastermind group at ClickNewz, which is about a 50/50 gender split, though the women do tend to participate more in the forum and on the live calls. I also love my local peer group, and the local events, which are not gender specific either. I’ve met some great men and women alike that I am grateful to have in my life. ๐Ÿ™‚

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Priorities - March 29, 2012

[…] have some fun new videos on my personal video blog, one of which is about my contributions to It’s A WAHM Thing – and I would love your input there if you have a moment to check out the short video. […]

2. Sexism: The IM Gender Debate | Video Blog by Lynn Terry - March 30, 2012

[…] promised, my thoughts on sexism and the gender debate in the Internet Marketing space, and why I tend to […]